Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Frozen Treasure Hunt

It's an idea I found on Pinterest and thought I'd give it a try.
I already had some 'treasures' to use from my random art supplies from school, and I had the kids' Easter buckets, so this was a pretty easy activity.

I filled the buckets with water, added some food coloring (since I have a ton of the stuff and it's fun), and added some 'treasures'. Then we put the buckets in the deep freezer that Joe bought a year ago. The next morning we had a frozen surprise!

We took our buckets and some excavation tools and went outside. 



Pound! Pound! Smack! Smack!


After a while, the ice had melted enough to come out of the buckets.



Any treasure they could chip out of the ice was theirs to keep! There were puff balls, erasers, sparkly jewels, buttons, and other random stuff from my art supplies. Nothing that would be missed.

After about an hour, the kids were getting tired. So, we took our treasures inside and used them to decorate individual wreaths. (remember when I was on that kick?)







2 comments:

Pat said...

What a good way to work off some energy (and stree--did you have a glacier to excavate as well, Mom?

Love, love Abby's Norma Desmond imitation!

Lovr,
Grammy Pat

Pat said...

Imagine my horror when I learned an illiterate person had posted in my name.

I would have typed:

What a good way to work off some energy (and stress--did you have a glacier to excavate too, Mom?)

Love, love Abby's Norma Desmond imitation!

Love,
Grammy Pat